Friday, November 30, 2007

My last day of work was today...

Today was my last day of teaching. I had to say good-bye to my 34 awesome 5th graders. It was such an emotional day. They presented me with a "Connecticut Survival Kit" which included the following:

1) a handmade fleecy blanket with a huge red heart appliqued on it. The blanket is to wrap around me on those freezing days and nights so I can feel their love.
2) purple (my favorite color) fleecy socks to keep my toes toasty while I'm wrapped in my blanket.
3) a wonderful book that describes all the sites of New England.
4) boxes of different teas and hot chocolate to drink while I'm wrapped in my blanket wearing my socks and reading my book.

I also got from a student a silver charm with the work CREATE. She wanted to thank me for doing the art journals every Friday in class. She said that she didn't think she was creative until she started the journal. Hers is BEAUTIFUL!!!
To add fuel to the crying fire, my husband sent a HUGE bouquet of flowers to my school, I received a dozen red roses from a boy in my class, and more altered letters and cards that one could possibly imagine. I was in shock.
Now, I get to sit home for a month before I move with my 3 sons to be with my DH in CT. It's a good thing it's a month away...hopefully the swelling of my eyes will go down by then.
I guess I'll have lots of time for art now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you felt so loved and appreciated today :)

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me, your Thursday phone date :)

Jodi said...

What an awesome feeling to be so loved by your students, Sandee! You should feel proud of yourself and of them... Enjoy your little break and we can look forward to seeing more of your art!!!

Heather Robinson said...

There are such mixed emotions in saying goodbye. It sounds as though you were well loved. All the very best on your move.