Monday, November 05, 2007

The Tears Fell...

I had to tell my students today that I was leaving. This was so difficult for me to do; I knew how they were going to react. It seemed like everyone was crying, boys as well as girls. Those that didn't cry just sat there in shock. I turned their world upside down and it felt just awful. The amazing thing to me was how quickly the news spread after school. School dismisses at 2:45 and by 2:48 I had students from every grade level in my classroom! I was truly amazed. I'm NOT looking forward to the reactions from the parents. (They're going to be angry; how could I possibly leave?) I now know that I have 13 school days left with 34 of my favorite 5th graders. I want to make the best of it!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hi! I know how your kids felt. Our 1st grade teacher's asst. just left. She didn't tell the kids till her last day. The parents didn't even know until they got a letter home. A lot were upset that she didn't give parents more notice. The kids cried (I did too as I was volunteering in the class when she told them) but they are so resilient and the bounced back pretty quick. I know how hard it must've been to tell them.